Despite my failure to blog my monthly goal checks for November and December, I figured I would do a review of my goals from a yearly perspective to see if my public accountability worked.
1. Complete at least 1 crafty project per month.
I cannot believe how many projects we accomplished. I painted a ton of furniture (table, chairs, more chairs, dresser, another dresser). I had a few sewing projects (drapes, slippers, stockings). Then some general craftiness up my sleeve (napkins, airplane costume, airplane party, art).
Of course there was more craftiness that I didn’t list, but you get the point. Clearly I crafted every month typically a few times and in multiple ways. I really challenged myself to take on things I hadn’t done before. It feels great to set outside your comfort zone and gain new skills. Take that goal!
2. Read at least 1 book per month
This goal is an interesting one because I had a couple months of not finishing a book, but I read 27 book this year. Clearly the total crushes my goal regardless of those failed months where I read but didn’t finish. I can thank Charlaine Harris for that because it’s a lot easier to read when you are going through a series.
3. Do more fun things with Ramona.
I made this goal vague, so I could justify anything. I think the original purpose was doing different/original activities at home but anything counts. Ramona got to go to Nashville, Orlando (Disneyworld), and New York this year. Our Seattle/Portland trip with her fell through twice, but I feel like we still did a lot of traveling. We also enjoyed things around town like the Fort Worth Children’s museum, parks, and the arboretum.
I just noticed that most of the pictures in her collage are from home. First it’s easier to take pictures of a toddler when you aren’t in public. Also we are fortunate to spend a lot of time at home. Ramona loves to dress up and pretend. She has hilarious conversations with imaginary people that I get to listen in on. I have to remember that filling our days with activities isn’t always the best thing. She needs down time to imagine and play. I need that time to laugh at whatever she’s coming up with because these days will be over too soon.
4. Journal every day.
This goal was the main reason why I didn’t want to write the goal checks for November and December. I did really well until September even if I didn’t write every day I would go back and fill in. Then I just stopped. I decided I wouldn’t keep a journal but just blog on the life side of Wills Casa. I didn’t do that either. Goal fail.
3 out of 4 is not bad, so thank you public for making me craft, read, and parent! Here’s what I am thinking for 2012:
- Give handmade gifts. – Not that the entire gift has to handmade, but I want at least 1 thing to be. It will sort of personalize the gift and still give the person something that they actually want from their registry/wish list. (Gifts are a deal around here.)
- Read. – I’m not going to set a number to this goal although if I read less than 12 books I’ll be disappointed. I’d like to read more nonfiction because after Gone Girl I need something that doesn’t leave me in a questionable emotional state. I want to read to learn or have things (phrases, thoughts) that hit me or get me to think. I guess I could say Read with Purpose – taking note of those moments that strike me.
- Document our life. – I will carry my failed journaling attempt from 2012 with me to the new year. This time with the goal of writing a post on the life side of Wills Casa (the side that doesn’t show up in reader but you are more than welcome to read) once a week. It seems like someone who documents her DIY/house projects so faithfully should be able to write about what she really loves her family and their everyday adventures. Obviously there is some overlap on the blog/family stuff that will be posted here i.e. birthday parties and portions of vacations, but it’s mainly going to be cute things Ramona says and does.
- Monthly Challenge. – I probably shouldn’t even post this because it’s only a half thought in my brain right now, but I wanted to pick a challenge each month. It could be an area in the house or something personal I want to improve on. Focus on it for a month. I’m not one of those people who develop habits in 30 days (it takes more like years for things to become a habit for me), but it is just something I’ve been thinking about. So if you have any ideas let me know because it’s Jan 2nd, and I don’t have a monthly focus yet.
Here’s to hoping 2013 is even better than 2012!