I was hoping that by the time I got around to updating you on the status of selling Wills Casa (Dos), we would be announcing that it is under contract and that we have made an offer on the house that we’ve been eyeing for about 6 months. Unfortunately that’s not the case. The whole selling process isn’t going exactly how I envisioned. I also don’t have a six pack nor a pet zebra, so I’m fairly use to the visions for my life not coming to fruition.
This is where the story takes another wrong turn. The house that we had already moved into in our heads (a dangerous game of counting the chickens before they hatch, we admit) has accepted an offer and has moved into “PENDING” status waiting to close. This news was met with shrieks towards the sky, questioning God in a Job-like “Why hast thou forsaken Wills Casa?” The night we found out was filled with smeared mascara tears and a whole tub of Blue Bell eaten with the emotional vigor of a spurned lover. Amber was pretty upset too.
After we got that out of our system, the only thing we could do was try and plan our next step. There were some long, late night discussions in which we talked through all the various scenarios we had in front of us. We needed to decide if we still wanted to sell or if we should pull the house off the market and wait for another house we love to appear. It didn’t seem that farfetched since we fell in love with about 3 houses in 2012. In the end, we decided that the best thing was to stay the course. We want to be able to strike quick when something opens up, so getting our house so is the best plan for us.
I think that with the selling of our house taking longer than we envisioned, we had started to emotionally detach ourselves from the other house. As the weeks turned to months, the realization set in that we probably wouldn’t be able to purchase it. After a 3rd time touring it (during a recent open house) it had lost some of its luster as well. The warts were definitely protruding more heavily than any other visit and the magnitude of time and money that would be required to get it where we wanted began to weigh on us. So it selling, in some way, has been a bit of a blessing. Amber Edit: Unless it comes back on the market, then we are all over it again.
In Part 2 of this post, we’re going to look at why our house hasn’t sold yet. And in Part 3 we’re going to discuss where we go from here. Stay tuned as we continue to give you more information on our real estate journey than you care to know. Until then…