I started thinking about how our budget is allocated and realized I have an unspoken rule when it comes to fashion. I now refer to it as the 10-20-30 rule. Typically I like spend around $10 on something for Ramona, $20 on something for me (not because I’m worth more but I buy less for myself than I do for Ramona…much less), and $30 for something around the house.
Of course there are exceptions and this is just a generalization, but it’s still a pretty good guideline for us when we think about budgeting.
1. Patterned Dress $9.95 – Ramona actually has this, and it’s adorable on.
2. Ruffle Striped Tank $10.80 – The lace detailing with the bow and ruffles is worth the extra 80 cents.
3. Jersey Mini Skirt $8 – This comes in polka dots and various colors too. I love the versatility of the navy stripes though.
4. Mint Shorts $9.99 – Lots of different color options for this cute pair of shorts, but wouldn’t the mint look great with that ruffle striped tank above it?
5. Necklace $10 – I love that J Crew thinks about practicality on kid’s jewelry. The ribbon tie on this is genius. It won’t knot up in your kids hair, and it’s easy for them to put on themselves.
6. Polka Dot Dress $4.95 – This is one of Ramona’s favorite dresses. It’s cute and definitely something I let her play in yet she still feels dressed up. The girl always wants to be in a dress.
Just some tips from 2 parents (yes Nick does a ton of clothes shopping for Ramona) who are constantly shopping for clothes: Our go to stores for Ramona are Target, J Crew, H&M, Old Navy, Gap, and JC Penny. Typically we buy most of her stuff on clearance to stay in that $10-ish range. Since she loves dresses we can put tights and a jacket over them when it gets cold, so things carry through the seasons. She has a vast closet.
1. Jersey Dress $17.95 – I love the basics line at H&M. I would probably buy this in the burgundy color instead of brown or maybe I would just buy both. You can dress this up or wear it casual. (Confession: I wear the short sleeve version now with tights as a maternity dress. So comfortable.)
2. Navy Neck-tie Shirt $14.80 – First I love the navy and coral combination they have working on the model. I also have a thing for shirts that tie. Maybe I just watch Mad Men too much.
3. Sunglasses $9.95 – I love wearing sunglasses to hide my sleepy eyes which I’m coming to accept is just how I look more than an indication of how much I actually slept, so having a few cheap pairs stashed away never hurts.
4. Sandals $17.48 – These are my daily shoes even when I’m stomping around on our dusty land. They are comfortable and go with literally anything.
5. Tank $8.80 – Super cheap tank in a pattern that makes me drool. Seriously you could wear this with a skirt and blazer or a pair of jeans. Either way it would look ridiculously cute.
6. Antler Ring $3.80 – I love how quirky this ring is. Also I hate paying more than $10 for jewelry unless it’s something substantial.
1. Watercolor Pillow $20 – This is such a fun pillow and reasonably priced too. I love the colors.
4. Wood Planter $24 – I love the wood tone color blocked with the bright coral. It’s so modern and a great styling accessory.
5. Wire Accent Table $17 – I have been eyeing this table at Target. I think it would look great in Ramona’s room. The top is cheap, but it’s itching for a little DIY to glam it up a bit.
6. Rhino $29 – You might not have time to search for that vintage brass animal that will finish off the vignette, so this guy is a great inexpensive option.
7. Floral Dishtowel $20 – This towel is so pretty you could frame it. Either way I love the colors and floral print.
Obviously we buy home stuff that’s more expensive than $30. If I’m looking for something specifically, then I always have a target price in mind. I think the key to find a good deal on home decor is to know what’s out there and what people are paying for it.
So there’s a budget version of sorts for Fashion Friday. Any rules you have when it comes to spending on style?