Once we started planning and budgeting for the nursery, we decided DIY stamped curtains would give us the biggest impact for the cost especially since we needed 118″ curtains. We picked up some LENDA curtains from IKEA. They are tabbed at the top, but I sewed the tabs down to get a cleaner look. See how Kelly did that here.
So there were lots of ideas about what we should stamp – bacon, t-bone, beard – you know all things Ron Swanson. Eventually we settled on a lightning bolt. It’s a cool shape and can transition easily when it’s time for Swanson to retire.
I bought a stamp template with a wood backing at Hobby Lobby. It was around $2. The stamp cutter is similar to this one. Make sure to flip your shape when you draw it onto your block. You can see how the paper lightning bolt is the correct orientation while the one on the carved stamp is backwards.
I carved all of the rubber off around the bolt to ensure I wouldn’t press down too hard and mark up the drapes where they weren’t supposed to be.
I mixed the leftover Tricorn Black from the mountain mural for the paint. I did add fabric medium just to be on the safe side. I brushed the paint on my stamp instead of dipping it into a container. I wanted to control the amount of paint (no bleeding or drips) and ensure the entire stamp was covered. You can see that sometimes I did stamp outside of the lines so to speak. I just used some Honest Stain Remover + a baby wipe to clean it up quickly before it dried.
The amazing thing about using LENDA curtains is they have faint vertical stripes, so spacing the lightning bolts was super easy. I used the level to make sure they were straight horizontally, and I was set. I used cardboard to protect the floor.
There were times when the stamp didn’t quite fill in the whole shape. I just used a paper cut out of the lightning bolt (like you saw in the stamp supplies picture), brushed paint on it, and lined it up for another “stamp”. I couldn’t use my actual stamp to restamp since the wood backing blocked my ability to line it up to the original bolt. The paper method worked well though, so bullet dodged.
The lightning bolt was the perfect amount of pattern to mix into the nursery. Beckett clearly loves it. He was eager to show off his bald head for the blog. Or maybe he was just being camera shy. The world will never know.
The stamp effect has a really charming handmade feel to it which fits with the room.
The curtains are not lined with black out liner, but I might do that later. However if I’m being honest, I probably won’t because a) laziness and b) I like how they look – all breezy and sheerish. The black blinds help tremendously with blocking the light. Plus the direction of the sun into the room at nap and bedtime works in our favor.
We hung the drapes with a Mid-Century Wooden Rod. It is beautiful and masculine. Plus the wood tone definitely fits with the feel of the room, and gold is always a good idea.*This post contains some affiliate links along with the awesome content.